Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Fees for ID waived for homeless vets??? Not all agree.

For years, the homeless veteran issue has been discussed. Low and behold, one of those liberal Democrats came up with an idea to help start fixing it. (Yes, that is a snarky comment aimed towards some of our GOP Representatives) Representative Reginald Bolding sponsored a bill to allow the drivers license or state ID fee to be waived for a homeless veteran. I am in support of this bill because without an ID of some sort an individual cannot get a job, housing or even enroll their children in school in Arizona. AND certain veteran services cannot be obtained without one either. At least legally. So, this would be a start to getting off the street and back on their feet.

As a veteran myself who has volunteered at the Arizona Standdown, I saw the critical need of getting our veterans help.

HB2575 license; nonoperating identification; homeless veterans passed the Senate Transportation Committee unanimously yesterday.

Just a reminder on how this played out in the House…

During the House Transportation Committee Representative David Cook made a point that this would be a cost of approximately 6000 dollars a year. Representative Paul Mosley suggested that this not only help veterans (which is approx. 7% of the clients that ID Project works with) but also the other 93% of their clientele. I commend Rep. Mosley for looking at the entire homeless issue. Chairman Campbell commended Rep Bolding on bringing the bill.

Representative David Cook spoke up in favor of this bill in the Republican Caucus. No other discussion in caucus.  

Only 5 Representatives voted against this bill when it came to a floor vote.
Representatives Mark Finchem, Eddie Farnsworth, Travis Grantham, Anthony Kern and Kelly Townsend. There was no explanation of their votes from the floor.

If one of those 5 representatives are your elected officials, please hold them accountable. I certainly will.

Monday, March 12, 2018

Turn off your notifications while you're driving.

Texting and driving is dangerous, but it's hard to resist the trove of social media notifications that stockpiles during a long drive.

Fortunately, the iPhone knows when you're driving (a bit creepy, I’ll admit) and can temporarily disable notifications.

To turn on this feature, head to Settings, then tap Do Not Disturb, then head down to Do Not Disturb While Driving. Then set it to automatic so you don’t ruin a life because of a dang text message.

You can even turn on an automatic response to text messages. I recommend something like, "Hey, I'm driving. What are you trying to do, cause a crash and kill a motorcyclist?

Pass this on to all your non-riding friends as well.

Monday, March 5, 2018

Fruit for thought

I had the opportunity to attend Riding for the Haul event yesterday put on by AMSAF. Mick Degn and his crew put on a great event. ABATE had a booth in the vendor area and I was able to speak with a bunch of folks about what is going on down at the Copper Dome. One question I asked everyone was, “Are you a member of a motorcycle rights organization?” Notice I did not ask if they were a member of ABATE. All I care about is that every rider is a member of a state MRO. I do get the response of “why should I? It doesn’t help me at all.” I try and explain the best I can about the constant fight we motorcyclists have to keep the freedoms we enjoy.

There is an old parable from the Talmud that I always think of when I want to stop serving and working towards freedom for others.

One day, Honi the Circle Maker was walking on the road and saw a man planting a carob tree.

Honi asked the man, “How long will it take for this tree to bear fruit?”

The man replied, “Seventy years.”

Honi then asked the man, “And do you think you will live another seventy years and eat the fruit of this tree?”

The man answered, “Perhaps not. However, when I was born into this world, I found many carob trees planted by my father and grandfather. Just as they planted trees for me, I am planting trees for my children and grandchildren so they will be able to eat the fruit of these trees.”

If you are able to eat the fruit of freedom, it is only because of the fight that others before you fought. The only way for those who come after us to be able to enjoy the same fruits is if we put in the effort now.

It’s never too late to join an MRO and be a part of the fight for freedom. Drop me a line and I'll point you in the right direction, no matter where you live. 

Be good to one another.